Let’s face it; it can feel like there’s never enough time in the day. Extra tasks (even those that only take a few minutes) can seem impossible to squeeze in. Especially this time of year.
But some tasks that seem annoying now can have a big payoff in the future. Because if researchers, extension agents and industry groups know exactly what you need to be successful, we can help make these things a reality.
The Vineland Research and Innovation Centre has recently taken up the rather thankless job of conducting a survey on pest management implementation and needs in the greenhouse industry.
Why is this a necessary evil? Because it gives them (and us) information on:
- Pests to focus research on
- Where pest management dollars are being spent, and where programs can be refined
- Pest management needs in the industry (here’s your chance to indicate specific pesticides or bios you’d like to see available!)
- How best to reach growers with new information
I encourage you all to click “Read More” on this blog post and follow the link to the survey BEFORE April 6, 2018. Below I have detailed the kinds of information you’ll need at your fingertips to help make taking it go a bit more smoothly.
The survey will take approximately 15 min to complete (I’ve walked through it confirm this. I took it – with made up answers – in about 10 min). Note: if you need to put it on hold if something else comes up, no worries! It will save your place!
Please take the survey by clicking here .
If this link doesn’t work for you then copy the following web address into your browser (http://remote.vinelandontario.ca:8080/eq/r1/fspnu ) or, you can contact Rose at Rose.Buitenhuis@vinelandresearch.com to arrange a time to conduct the survey by phone.
Information you’ll need on hand:
- Approximate size of your greenhouse
- A general idea of how you spend your pest management budget (e.g. % spent on biocontrol, pesticides, trapping, consultants, other) for insects AND diseases (separately)
- The fungicides and microbial products you regularly use
- Estimated total operational input costs per unit (e.g. all inputs in $’s per pot or sq. ft) for your main crop only (optional question)
- Estimated costs per unit of your pest management program for both insects and diseases (optional question)
- estimated losses (in %) in your main crop due to disease
And that’s it! I found the whole thing pretty painless, so I hope you’ll all be encourage to participate!
If you want to know how this information will be shared by the Vineland Research and Innovation Centre once it’s complied, take a look at this Greenhouse Canada article on a previous survey in 2014.
Questions can be directed to:
RESEARCH SCIENTIST BIOLOGICAL CONTROL